Saturday, February 14, 2009

Culinary delights

A brief overview... more to come. Our cook, Raj, shooed me out of the kitchen saying, "Madam, this week we are very busy. Next week I show you each dish."

- Fantastic fruits and vegetables--cheap, cheap, cheap!: carrots, tomatoes, cauliflower, snow peas, cucumbers, tangerines, apples (surprisingly!), grapes, Matthew's favorite and oft requested: PINEAPPLE, pomegranates

- Fresh juices: pineapple, sweet lime (I asked for no sugar in mine and Raj obliged me the first day. The next day he explained that the lime needed some sugar but assured me he only added 40% sugar to mine. :))

- Skim milk and yogurt are available everywhere. Yay for having made my kids eat plain yogurt w/honey for their short little lives. This has eased the transition.

- Rice. Our cook likes Korean rice.

- Dal. Many kinds. My favorite thing so far.

- Delicious rice salad (cold), w/ yogurt, cilantro and pomegranate.

- Beef w/chili powder. Matthew cried. Shae ate it!

- Potato salad w/cilantro, boiled eggs and radish (long, white, cooked ones)

- Delicious and entirely-too-rich beet salad concoction. I dared to ask what was in it: "beetroot, butter, cream and a little cheese"

So far, we've asked the kids to try 1 new thing at each meal. They haven't really eaten more than a bite. I am discouraged but trying to stay upbeat and emphasize my own enjoyment. And I'm buying lots of eggs (only a few rupees a piece) and yogurt... their comfort foods.

Will write more about shopping and what's available later.

Quick poll: what would YOU consider an outrageous price for Cheerios?

5 comments:

Shawna said...

I think that $4 a box is an outrageous price for any cereal. I'm loving every post you put up!! I wish I could be there to see it all happening.

Jen said...

When I was 9 my parents took me to Israel for a month. I was SUPER finicky. My mom and dad were buying me Cap'n Crunch cereal for a while, until they did the math. $13 a box!!!! No more Cap'n Crunch for me.

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

well, in a different country and with how much my baby eats, i wouldn't pay more than 6 or 7 bucks for cheerios... I'm afriad to ask how much it is there!

(ok, so i deleted this same post because i added a question about where to find the traffic link, and then I found it--- sorry for congesting up your comments--- ;) )

SpringSnoopy (Julie) said...

Amazing... I'm hungry now.