Monday, July 27, 2009

Anniversary Trip to Kerala

Here are some photos (will write more about it soon) of our trip to Kerala, neighboring coastal state. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary for 2 days together, leaving the kids in the competent care of another expat family. My DEAR husband gave me (and thought of himself!) the gift of going 2 days early, alone, to relax, refresh and recharge. It was a wonderful retreat. But (and thus) I enjoyed the time with him even more.

I captioned some of the photos. A few still bear explanation. The first 2/3rds are from a tour we took in a small motor boat. The last third are of us--yes, we've still got it going on--and the lovely place we stayed.

To come soon: more about Kerala, birds, boats, and a short video of traditional dance

5 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful place! Are there no mosquitoes there? What about other "critters"? What an exotic anniversary! Congratulations!

Natalie said...

Love the pics you took of each other!!! Great bathroom--- did you actually use it??? LOL

Ellen said...

I'm glad you got photos of the sights--it brings it to life. Also, I love seeing pics of you...usually it's just the kiddos! :)

Beth said...

Hey Lisa! I was going to recommend you visit Kerala. I read about it this Spring and was fascinated by it. Their literacy rate is nearly 100% and the rate of newspaper readership is the highest on earth. The % of Keralites with postgrad degrees is higher than the % of Americans. Kerala's birthrate is 40% lower than the rest of India and the # of baby girls outnumbers baby boys (amazing stat in and of itself in Asia). I read all this in Bill McKibben's Deep Economy, a profound book! Anyways, did you notice some of that perhaps influencing a difference you saw?

Lisa said...

Dear Beth,

Thanks for your comment. I love your blog. Will write more soon. Kerala was fascinating. I'd read/heard similar stats to those you'd mentioned. We were in a pretty rural area (2 hours from city) and it seemed quite similar to the other rural areas we'd been--very agricultural, with oxen plowing and cooking fires, etc. I will add Deep Economy to my booklist!