- You're washing your broccoli and discover lots of small worms (minuscule, really). Good thing you had a share in an organic farm last summer and know how to soak it in salt water to get rid of the little buggers. You then throw it in with the boiling pasta (see below) and feed it to the kids.
- You decide to cook some pasta (familiar comfort food for the kids who haven't taken well to Indian cuisine) and find some friendly fleas.
- After boiling and straining your milk, you learn that the skin that forms on the top is "very good for smoothness" and you should rub it all over your hands and face. You opt for just the hands.
- The power goes out about 15 times a day... or it cycles to back-up power, which will run fans and some lights for a while, and then at some undetermined time may return to full power. Makes washing a load of laundry a several hour task.
- You learn that cornstarch is called corn flour here.
- You drink pineapple juice with pepper in it. Not planning to post a recipe for that one soon. "Good for warmness, madam. Lemon, sweet lime are coldness. This one good for warmness."
- You come upstairs when you hear your children awake from their nap and find they've smeared the entirety of small jar of Vaseline all over themselves. (okay, so this could happen anywhere...not just India)
- You learn that your driver's father grew mangoes (3 acres of them!) and that he does not have a fridge at home.
- You kill 3 mosquitoes while composing this blog entry.
- You realize you have far more than 99% of all the people in this country and you are grateful.
p.s. Shae comes home with a juicy tidbit: driver (27) is married to his niece (19, daughter of 47-year-old sister of driver), which accounts for the fact that there were only 800 people at his wedding vs. the 2000 that attended his cousin's sister's wedding this past weekend (she married outside of the family)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
LOL!!! Yes, I think the vaseline would happen to anyone! I'm not sure about that pineapple drink, maybe rum would help???
If only I could get paid for killing bugs in your house in India! I'd cut you a deal...only 10 cents per bug instead of the usual 25 cents!
Seriously though---good for you for handling all these challenges! I can't imagine how often you find yet another bug, child in vaseline, stalled laundry cycle, peppery juice and you have to keep going! Good thing we don't have to do all this in our own strength!
Maybe life would be easier if you married a neice or nephew so you could understand your in laws a bit better??
Dear Natalie and Ellen,
Yes, I think rum would be an improvement! :)
And El, I laughed out loud when I read your suggestion about marrying in the family to ease understanding with in-laws. Matthew has good prospects but Hannah is limited... though a very good quality choice she has. :)
Post a Comment