Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dal--a long-awaited recipe for you!



I eat rice and dal every day. I think I've written about it before, but to refresh your memory, read more here.

Dal
is amazing and there an infinite number of ways to prepare it. There are rows of different kinds, colors, and shapes of lentils in stores here.

I will do my best to describe one of the ways Kaplana prepares it. Here is a Cooking Light version that is also very good, and will have the methods/ingredients most readily available to you.

If you don't have/use a pressure cooker, I would follow the instructions from the CL recipe to start.

My best approximation (eye-balling, looking over a shoulder :))

a) In pressure cooker, combine:

1 1/3 c. lentils (split lentils)
3 c. water (less used in this version b/c of pressure cooker)
3/4 t. tumeric
1 t. salt
2 Roma tomatoes, cut into 6 wedges
1 sm. red onion (about 1/2 c.?) sliced
4 sm. green chilis (very spicy, like serrano? maybe sub. 1 jalapeƱo?)

Cook over high heat for 2 whistles, turn down heat to low, turn off after third whistle. Remove top when steam has released.

b) In large saucepan, saute:
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 green chili
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 t. cumin seed

c) Add contents of pressure cooker to saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, "boil nicely".

d) Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.

2 comments:

Jen said...

We recently made dal as an extension of our studies in history. I did like it in a tortilla with sour cream and cheese. (but then, isn't everything better with cheese?) It makes a nice burrito. About half of the kids liked it.

Lisa said...

Dear Jen,

I can't say I've had it with cheese, but it IS usually eaten with curd (plain yogurt), so it has the same creamy/dairy effect. Glad you enjoyed it!

The consistency of what we usually eat here is more runny, too runny for a burrito. It's eaten with chapati and roti flatbreads; pieces are pinched off and dipped in. "Very tasty", as they say here about everything!