Hello dear readers,
I have loads of blog postings in my head that rarely get to the screen. The fullness of life here (read: 2 small kids), the delights and challenges of travel, the pleasure of family visiting, the intensity of summer heat... all these things seem to absorb my blogging energy. Not a bad thing, just an update. Also, comments from you all are always welcome and an encouragement as it feels like I'm sending this into cyberspace, wondering at times if you wish I'd just get myself a journal. :)
One recurring thought I've wanted to share is that Bangalore is becoming less foreign and feeling more like home. I've noticed this in a few ways. One relief is that notoriously long and multisyllabic Indian names and words are starting to dissolve into meaningful units. When we first arrived, I couldn't tell if someone was talking about a place, a food, a person, etc. And they were speaking English (with words and place names from many other Indian languages). Now I know that the word "Ramagondanahalli" on our address refers to the village/suburb/bus stop a few blocks away. "Halli" is a suffix meaning village or something like that.
I'm starting to recognize place names and stores. I shop at Namdhari's and Samruddhi's. I know how to get to Indiranagar, Koramangala,and Banaswadi. Moreover, I know that they're parts of the city, not interesting vegetables. May sound like a small thing, but I feel like I'm swimming along with the current know, not awash in a sea of unfamiliar syllables. Happy feeling. I still haven't figured out where the silent "h" goes in all the words. Good thing we have lots more time here.
One short story about our first weeks here:
I was in the grocery store and the clerk was smiling at me, laughing a little and talking to her friend. When I checked out, she asked me if I knew "om shanti om" (which sounded like home-shanty-home to me). I've since learned it's a big Bollywood hit. I didn't and she kept repeating a long word and pointing to me. I didn't know if it was Kannada for "green cardamom pods" (which I was looking for); I finally figured out that she was saying an actress' name, whom she thought I resembled. Not green cardamom pods. Now I know.
p.s. For more of city names, see: http://www.bangalorepedia.org/Image:Bangalore_map.jpg
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love your postings - I check every day to see if there is anything new. I know how you feel (though I imagine that your experience is much more intense) with regards to learning the names of places vs vegetables vs people. In Philadelphia all of the major (and some not-so-major) roadways have nicknames - which are not printed on any map or sign, but are used by everybody including the rush hour traffic guys. I still don't know why 476 is called the "Blue Route" - but I began to feel more at home there when I knew what people were talking about. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling like you are more at home.
What a great post Lisa! I've popped on here and there to read a bit about your adventure and have enjoyed it a lot! Hearing some of the stories reminds me of the early days when I left America as a child. Day by day things become more normal :) Tell your kiddos hello for Mado and I.
Hey Lisa - good morning to you!
I LOVE your postings too! So far, the elephant pictures are my favorite. Definitely DO NOT buy a journal...you must keep posting...I love hearing all about life in India for the McCowens :) So glad to hear that some sense of "normalcy" is setting in.
So...you look like a Bollywood star, eh? I guess I'm not surprised! It's good news that you don't live in a "home-shanty-home" (that cracked me up).
Blessings friend!
Mary
I want to know what actress you look like. I guess all white people look the same...
Thank you Shawna, Laura, Mary and Leah (and those of you who e-mailed directly)! I am grateful for your encouragement. And Leah, there are over 40 Bollywood stars that appear in that movie, so I couldn't tell you wish one... the tall, fair-skinned one with a juicy...?
Post a Comment