Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Visit to Raju's Village

Sadly, Raju, our driver lost his father 12 days ago. He invited us to a function in his village (about 30 km outside of Bangalore) in memory of his father, customarily held after 11 days of mourning. We were so glad to have a chance to go and to meet his family. The kids were especially happy to see Raju since he has been with his family for this period. A highlight was meeting his daughter Tanu Shree, 10 months (Matthew adored her!) and wife, Manju.

His father was a mango farmer and we got a great tour and saw some of his 350 mango trees. We've been through rural places like this before but it was different coming with a social purpose, visiting. Raju asked us to eat in the car b/c there were so many people and they were fascinated by the white folks in town. I will try to put some captions on the photos.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for the pictures. The mangoes looks so yummy. Did you peel them before you ate them?

I'm reading a book called, "The Hungry Tide". It's by Amitav Ghosh. It's set in India.

Lisa said...

The mangoes were incredible! We did peel them before eating.

I've seen Amitav Ghosh on several books-to-read-about-India lists. What do you think?

Natalie said...

love the pics! read your blog everyday! miss you!

Jen said...

I like it so far, but I'm also working my way through 2 other books at the same time, so my focus has been diminished.